Embark on a fascinating journey into the heart of Saudi Arabia's rich heritage and culture in this remarkable day trip to two of Saudi Arabia's historic towns, Shaqra and Ushaiger. Located about 200 kilometres northwest of Riyadh, these towns offer a glimpse into the traditional way of life in the Najd region that has shaped their regional customs. Your journey will begin with a tour of Al Qasab Village, a historic landmark, before you check out the Heritage Village in Shaqra and Hlewa Heritage Market. Stroll through the narrow streets and admire the mudbrick houses, mosques, and shops. Connect with friendly locals and learn about their lifestyle. Enjoy a traditional Saudi Arabian meal in Shaqra before setting out on a short drive to the next destination, Ushaiger. Begin your tour with a visit to the Al Salem Museum, which houses a vast collection of artefacts and exhibits that tell the story of Ushaiger's rich history. Next, explore the Ushaiger Heritage Village and be transported back in time and get an insight into the slow-paced Najdi society. Walk around the winding alleyways and look inside some of the empty houses before heading back to Riyadh.
- Day 1- 09:00: Pick-up from the meeting point in Riyadh Gather at the meeting point and get picked up for a day trip to Shaqra and Ushaiger from Riyadh, which is about 200 kilometres from the capital.- 10:30: Visit Al Qasab Village Begin your tour with a visit to the Al Qasab Village, home to a traditional salt factory. Learn more about the ancient method of harvesting salt and get more insight into the lives of the locals.- 11:00: Trip to Heritage Village in Shaqra Head to the Heritage Village in Shaqra, an open-air museum that features a collection of traditional Najdi houses, mosques, and shops. Wander through the narrow streets and admire the architecture of old houses to get a better insight into their traditional way of life.- 11:30: Hlewa Heritage Market tour Enjoy a tour of the Hlewa Heritage Market, where you can find a variety of handicrafts, souvenirs, and local products. Experience the bustling atmosphere of the market and bargain for unique souvenirs to take back home with you.- 12:30: Lunch & drive to Ushaiger Stop for lunch and enjoy a traditional Saudi Arabian meal in Shaqra, where you can savour the delicious flavours of local dishes, before embarking on a short drive to Ushaiger to check out some of the top attractions in this historic town.- 14:10: Tour of Al Salem Museum Visit the Al Salem Museum to learn about the history of Ushaiger and its people. The museum houses a collection of artefacts that are a testament to the region's rich history, such as traditional clothing, pottery, and weapons.- 14:40: Ushaiger Heritage Village tour Make your way to the Ushaiger Heritage Village, a living museum that tells the tale of the town's storied past. At one point, this place was a popular stopping point for pilgrims. However, its yellow mud-brick houses are now home to a small community of residents who still use the buildings and structures that have been restored to their original state.- 18:00: Drop-off at the meeting point Take a relaxing stroll around the historic town of Ushaiger one final time before wrapping up this incredible adventure. Prepare for your drive back to Riyadh, where you will be dropped off at the meeting point.
- Tour guide
- Pick-up from & drop-off at the meeting point
- Entry tickets to the museums and attractions included in the package
- Taxes & surcharges
- Hotel pick-up & drop-off
- Personal expenses
- Meals not mentioned in the itinerary
Meeting point Shaqra
- Guests must wear comfortable footwear and dress modestly.
Bookings are refundable up to 48 hours prior to the trip, after which they are strictly non-refundable. Tours are subject to favourable weather conditions. In case tours are halted or cancelled as a result of bad weather, a refund will be processed within 14 days to the bank account linked to the card used for the transaction.